An RISD Classroom Observer:
A classroom observer is a college/university student or alternative certification candidate who needs to obtain field-based observation experience to fulfill a class or program requirement. The number of observation hours should not exceed 60 hours.
Classroom Observer Application Process:
- Access the application using the following link: http://www.risd.org/careers and select START AN APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT. Under EXTERNAL APPLICANT select START AN APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT. Follow the applicable instructions to begin the application.
- In the position desired section of the application, select Classroom Observer. The form will then change from an employment application to a request to observe. Follow the instructions provided. References are not required to complete the application.
- No observations may occur until the application has been approved.
- Observation approval notifications will be emailed through the Application System.
- Upon approval, observers will be invited to visit the Administration Building, room 111, to obtain a Classroom Observer ID badge
- Observers are responsible for contacting individual campuses to request observation hours and schedule observation times.
- Applications must be renewed each semester and include current syllabus or program acceptance letter.
Classroom Observer Guidelines:
- Requests for observations must be associated with a college course or Alternative Certification Program Requirement
- A current class syllabus or Alt. Program acceptance letter is required with the application
- Observation hours must not exceed 60 hours
- Observations are not permitted prior to the first six weeks of instruction per semester.
- Direct student contact is prohibited.
- Cell phone use and video recording are prohibited during observations.
- No observations are permitted in Special Education settings.
- The district does NOT make observer It is the responsibility of the approved observer to contact individual campuses to request a placement and schedule observation times.
- Professional dress and decorum are required.
- Observers must present and wear the district issued Classroom Observer identification badge.
- Classroom observations requests are subject to availability and campus principals reserve the right to deny requests.
Observation Application Deadlines:
- Fall: The last week in September
- Spring: The last week in January
- Summer: The last week in May
Classroom Observation Windows:
- Fall: The first week in October – The first week in December
- Spring: The first week in February – The first week in May
- Summer: The first week in June – The last week in June