RISD is providing this information to educate, encourage and engage with our school community about the upcoming Census and to encourage your participation. We will continue to update this site as we prepare for Census Day, April 1st!
Countdown to Census Day
Why We Do a Census?
Article 1, Section 2 of the US Constitution – The actual enumeration shall be made within three years after the first meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent term of ten years, in such manner as they shall be law direct.
Uses of Census data:
- Apportion representation among states
- Draw congressional and state legislative districts, school districts and voting precincts
- Enforce voting right and civil rights legislation
- Distribute federal dollars to states
- Inform planning decisions of federal, tribal, state and local government
- Inform organizational decisions of businesses and non-profits
Upcoming Community Events
February 22, 2020
March 3, 2020
April 1, 2020
2020 Census vs 2010 Census:
In 2020, the Census Bureau will introduce new technology to make it easier than ever for individuals to respond to the census.
For the 1st time, you will be able to respond online, by phone, or by mail.
Important links for additional information and resources: