Social and Emotional Learning
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is an integral part of education and human development. SEL is the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions, achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions.
The knowledge and skills acquired through social and emotional learning directly support the RISD graduate profile in the areas of Emotional Intelligence, Effective Communication, and Critical Thinking/ Problem Solving. Campuses will provide learning opportunities for students to develop skills in the areas of:
- Self Awareness and Self Worth
- Self Management and Self Advocacy
- Relationship Skills and Valuing Others
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Responsible Decision Making
Benefits of SEL
- Better Academic Performance
- Improved Attitudes & Behaviors
- Reduced Emotional Stress
- Preparation for Life after RISD
What is SEL?
- Instructional Resources
- Adult SEL: Every RISD staff member has the opportunity to receive professional learning in Adult SEL and self-care.
- Integrated SEL: Students are able to see SEL throughout the day in their content area learning.
- Families and Communities
- The RISD Student Services department provides opportunities for family and community SEL through the district’s Live Wise, Live Healthy wellness initiative