1309 Holly Drive
Richardson, TX 75080
Principal: Kimberly Kindred
What is the general application process and deadlines?
Applications are available online now and due Dec 1. Applications received after Dec. 1 are considered for placement after Feb. 1 along with any applicants who are put in the waiting pool.
- Junior High Magnet Checklist
- Notification of placement is emailed by Feb. 1.
- Invitations to submit additional materials for Theatre and Visual Arts Info at West are emailed before winter break.
- It is important that you add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your contacts because notifications come from these email addresses. Adding these email addresses to your contacts should prevent your mail server from filtering or blocking an email regarding a magnet school application.
Does a student need an application for both junior highs?
- If you live in the Westwood attendance area, you don’t have to complete the application for Westwood because you will automatically feed into your neighborhood junior high.
- If you live in the West attendance area, you do not have to complete the application to attend West; unless, you want to be in a magnet course.
- If you live in the Prestonwood, Bowie, Richland or Hamilton Park (the area that feeds into Berkner HS) attendance areas, the same application will first ask you to select your preference between your choice or managed choice options.
Is the application for enrollment in magnet classes?
- West requires all students — neighborhood and magnet volunteers — to complete the application if they want to be in a magnet course.
- Westwood requires an application for all students who live outside the Westwood attendance area. Once you’ve been assigned to the school, then you are free to select among all the programs they offer.
Does my child have to take a test to get into the school?
No, the only test that students must take is to qualify for Algebra 1 for 7th Graders, which is offered at Westwood.
- Theatre & Visual Arts offered at West have a required interview process. This process is new this year, and students submit additional materials if they are invited to do so as an opportunity to showcase their potential in these disciplines.
Are there prerequisites to apply for the Junior High magnet programs?
If my child has a sibling attending West or Westwood, will the incoming student have priority?
If my student has a preferred magnet school, should the student complete the application for both magnet schools or only the preferred magnet school?
What is the selection process and criteria for placing students?
- Elementary magnet students have priority of placement, but are not guaranteed their first choice.
- Students who qualify for Theatre or Visual Arts, as well as students who pass the acceleration exam to be in Algebra 1 for 7th Graders, have priority of placement.
- Siblings have priority of placement assuming they are enrolled at the same school at the same time. West requires all siblings, who live outside the West attendance area, to be enrolled in a magnet program to receive sibling priority.
- Students from all other neighborhood schools are placed by random selection.
Do you give up your spot at your home campus if you apply for a magnet school?
Is the magnet program appropriate for students who are neurodiverse?
Will the magnet information night be recorded for those unable to attend on Nov. 18?
Yes, and the link will be available on the RISD Magnet School website.
West Junior High Arts & Technology Magnet Questions
How much of the student’s schedule will be standard? and how much will be magnet? Does a magnet program take up all electives?
Is bus transportation provided to and from the magnet school?
Are there junior high sports programs?
Are there any music electives offered?
What support do you have for children with an Individual Educational Plan or dyslexia?
How much experience does a student need in a particular magnet program or field to be considered for a specific program?
Students do not need prior experience. A student simply needs a desire to learn and a strong work ethic. Communication Arts and Robotics do not have talent-based criteria. There is a required portfolio project for Visual Arts and a monologue for Theatre Arts, but these are talent-based programs and prior experience isn’t necessary.
How will the Theatre magnet work virtually?
How will the Theatre magnet work virtually?
What is the audition process for Theatre/Communication Arts?
Theatre Arts and Communication Arts are two distinctly different programs. Theatre Arts focuses on stage acting. Communication Arts focuses on how to film and edit. The admissions process is different for each.
Theatre Magnet Audition Process is outlined here: Richardson West Junior High Arts Application Process, including monologue options.
Communication Arts Admission Process: There is no audition for the Communication Arts Magnet. Students simply apply by the Dec. 1 deadline, selecting communication arts and West as their first choice school.
Does West offer courses in programming including video/graphics and design? Any courses on music production and mixing?
What will Culinary Arts be like? How will I do an audition for Culinary Arts? What kind of opportunities will be offered to my child if accepted?
Who helps the student with their Visual Arts portfolio?
How does the Robotics magnet program look like with COVID protocols?
How much time do students spend in Robotics classes?
How is the Robotics magnet different from just taking a Robotics class?
Does the AVID program help my child get into a Magnet junior high if we decide to go that route? What if we decide the AVID program is not a fit for my child?
Westwood Junior High Math, Science, Leadership Magnet Questions
How is the program different from other RISD Junior High schools?
Does a student have to select one area of specialty/program? or can a student be involved in all of them?
How much more math will a student be taking?
What is it about Westwood that makes it a Leadership magnet?
What does Westwood do differently from other junior high programs?
Is Health Science a separate magnet from math-based science? or does the program incorporate both?
Programs which provide these services include: