Richardson ISD has adopted new public comment procedures:
- Those who wish to participate in public comments now must register online beginning when the agenda for the meeting posts at www.risd.org, which is typically 72 hours prior to the start time of the meeting.
- Online registration will be available until noon the day of meeting.
- On-site registration is no longer available for RISD board meetings.
- If someone lacks the technology necessary to complete the online submission form, they can call the RISD board office at 469-593-0403. For assistance in Spanish, please call 469-593-0312.
Procedures for Public Comments During Board Meetings
Submit a Public Comment
Those who wish to participate in public comments now must register online beginning when the agenda for the meeting posts at www.risd.org, which is typically 72 hours prior. Online registration will be available until noon the day of meeting.
Public Comments Protocols
- Each speaker must be present at the meeting when their name is called by the board secretary to speak. If a speaker is not present when their name is called to speak, they forfeit that opportunity to speak.
- A speaker who wishes to provide written materials to the Board of Trustees must bring at least nine (9) copies of the materials to the Board meeting and give them to RISD personnel prior to the start of the meeting.
- Visitors may not bring signs into the RISD Auditorium.
- Applause, heckling, booing, and other verbal disturbances of any kind while someone is speaking are not allowed and will not be tolerated.
- Applause, when invited by the board president or an RISD administrator is allowed.
- Speakers are limited to three minutes unless the time has been adjusted to maintain effective meeting management. (If 20 or more persons submit a speaker card, the time will be reduced to 2 minutes; if 30 or more persons submit a speaker card, the time will be reduced to 1 minute.) The microphone will be turned off after the allotted time runs out.
- Speakers must leave the podium after their allotted time.
- Attacks of a personal nature against trustees, RISD staff or students is not allowed and will not be tolerated.
- If any visitor disrupts a meeting by failing to follow the board protocols, a verbal warning will be issued. If the behavior continues, the individual will be asked to leave the building and leave RISD property.