Enrollment and Registration
- Child’s Proof of Identity:
- The child’s birth certificate or another document suitable as proof of the child’s identity.
- A copy of the child’s records from the school the child most recently attended if the child has been previously enrolled in a school in this state or another state.
- If the parent certifies that the birth certificate is not available, RISD will accept a valid passport, hospital birth record, church baptismal record, adoption record, driver’s license, military identification card, or other legal document that establishes the child’s identity.
- Social Security Card
- This is optional. RISD uses a student’s Social Security number for submissions under the Public Education Information Management system (PEIMS). If a parent chooses not to provide a Social Security number, RISD will assign a state-approved identifier.
- Child’s Complete Immunization Records
- Date, month, and year of every immunization received.
Proof of Residency
- House or Condo
- Current Electric, Water or Gas Bill, which must contain the parent’s name and parent’s address.
- Current apartment lease, which must contain the parent’s name and the parent’s address.
- Telephone, Internet or Cable Bills
- These are not accepted as a valid proof of residency.
- House or Condo
- Parent / Guardian’s I.D.
- Driver’s License, State-Issued I.D., or Passport.
- Proof of Withdrawal Form from Child’s Former School
- This is required only if the child was withdrawn from school during the current school year.
- Child’s Last Report Card
Miscellaneous Information About Enrollment and Registration
Full-day Pre-K for the 2020-2021 School Year is free for qualifying families, and tuition-based Pre-K is available to RISD employees. To qualify, the child must be 3 or 4 years old before September 1, 2020. For more information, see RISD’s Pre-K website.
Kindergarten students must be five years old on or before September 1 of the current school year and the student and either parent must be a resident of the district.
First graders must be six years old by September 1 of the current year unless the child has completed public kindergarten in another state/country or has been receiving public first grade instruction in another state/country.
Not sure what school attendance are you live in? Find out with RISD’s School Locator.
For information on requests to transfer between RISD schools (Intra-District) or between RISD and another school district (Inter-District), see the Transfer Requests page.
Out of District
RISD does not accept students living outside the district on a tuition-paid basis.