Enrollment and Registration
- The child’s birth certificate or another document suitable as proof of the child’s identity.
- If the parent certifies that the birth certificate is not available, RISD will accept a valid passport, hospital birth record, church baptismal record, adoption record, driver’s license, military identification card, or other legal document that establishes the child’s identity.
- This is optional. RISD uses a student’s Social Security number for submissions under the Public Education Information Management system (PEIMS). If a parent chooses not to provide a Social Security number, RISD will assign a state-approved identifier.
- Date, month, and year of every immunization received.
- Proof of residency is required upon enrollment for the following students:
- Students new to RISD
- Students who departed RISD and are returning
- Current RISD students enrolling in a new school
- Students enrolling in Pre-K
- Students enrolling in Kindergarten
- Students enrolling in first year of junior high or middle school
- Students enrolling in first year of high school
- Current Electric, Water or Gas Bill, or lease (signatures and dates must be visible), which must contain the parent’s name and parent’s address.
- Mortgage payment books, phone, cable, internet bills, insurance statements and driver’s licenses are not acceptable proof of residency.
- No terminations will be accepted.
- Driver’s License, State-Issued I.D., or Passport.
- This is required only if the child was withdrawn from school during the current school year.
Miscellaneous Information About Enrollment and Registration
See RISD’s Pre-K website.
Kindergarten students must be five years old on or before September 1 of the current school year and the student and either parent must be a resident of the district.
First graders must be six years old by September 1 of the current year unless the child has completed public kindergarten in another state/country or has been receiving public first grade instruction in another state/country.
Not sure what school attendance area you live in? Find out with RISD’s School Locator.
For information on requests to transfer between RISD schools (Intra-District) or between RISD and another school district (Inter-District), see the Transfer Requests page.
Out of District
RISD schools are not currently open to students who live outside of district boundaries.