Culminating a 16-month planning process and based on the recommendations of a community bond steering committee, Richardson ISD trustees on Feb. 8 voted to place two bond propositions before voters on the May 1 ballot.
The total of both propositions is $750 million. If approved by voters, Bond 2021 does not propose to increase RISD’s debt tax rate.
“Bond 2021 will be the first phase of RISD’s transition into a middle school model that will eventually lead to all eight junior highs being transformed into campuses serving sixth, seventh, and eighth grade,” Dr. Stone said. “This also would open up space at our elementary campuses that would be used to expand our Pre-K for All initiative. Bond 2021 is the beginning of RISD’s long-range facilities vision.”
Some of the anticipated projects the proposed Bond 2021 package would fund include:
- Repair and maintain schools
- Expand schools experiencing enrollment growth
- Begin the process of transforming junior highs as RISD moves to a middle school model
- Renovate aging campuses based on condition assessments
- Provide safety and security enhancements for schools
- Update instructional materials and equipment for students
- Provide new school buses and district vehicles for maintenance and security
- Provide updated computer devices for students and staff, and upgrades to the district’s technology infrastructure
Proposition A – $694 million: Includes projects related to capital construction, infrastructure, repairs, safety and security, student instruction, and equipment.
Proposition B – $56 million: Includes student and staff technology.
Proposed projects in Bond 2021 include the first phase of a long-range facilities vision to replace or renovate RISD schools based on age and condition. RISD campuses are as old as 69 years, with an average age of 53 years. Bond 2021 also begins RISD’s middle school transformations to accommodate the move of sixth graders from elementary schools to junior high buildings, creating middle schools to serve students in grades 6, 7 and 8.
Watch the bond discussion and trustee vote here.
A breakdown of proposed Bond 2021 projects and additional information is available at www.risd.org/bond2021.