All elementary students will leave their iPads at their campus at the end of 2020-2021 school year. Virtual students are asked to please bring their school-issued device back to campus.
Sixth-grade students moving to RISD junior high next year will pick up their new school-issued device at the start of the 2021-22 school year at their junior high campus.
Starting with this summer, all secondary students returning to RISD next year will keep their school-issued Chromebooks over the summer.
Allowing returning RISD secondary students to keep their devices over the summer provides continued opportunities for learning through district summer programs. Secondary students will have continual access to RISD resources through the school-issued device, creating greater technology access for families and streamlining logistics for students and campuses.
Insurance for school-issued Chromebooks will continue to be available over the summer through Worth Ave. Group. Students are responsible for the upkeep of their Chromebook. Parents may continue to cover their student’s school-issued device from accidental damage or theft over the summer for $8. The insurance premium for June, July and August is $8. The replacement cost for a Chromebook is $265. For more information about summer insurance for RISD-issued Chromebooks, please visit https://gpo.worthavegroup.com/gpo/richardson-isd-summer
Elementary Virtual Summer School
Parents of summer school elementary students (or those upcoming 7th graders) only, if you have registered for an RISD summer school VIRTUAL program and do not have an internet connected device at home for your student to use, then RISD will provide one for you. You may go to the RISD Helpdesk Annex and pick up a grade-appropriate device as a loaner for the duration of the virtual summer school program. RISD Helpdesk can be found at 420 S Greenville Ave, Richardson, Texas 75081. Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please bring your confirmation email of your summer school registration, showing enrollment in a VIRTUAL program and your student’s ID#. The device will be checked out in the student’s name and due back to the RISD Helpdesk Annex within a week of program completion.
Please note a couple of items:
- Students do not keep their current 2020-21 iPad or device; those devices should be returned to your campus. RISD is undergoing a thorough inventory count, cleaning, and upgrading this summer on those specific campus devices.
- This is strictly optional. If you have an internet connected device at home, you will most likely be able to complete the assignments and projects given to your student. Your opportunity to get a district device will remain available throughout the summer school program duration.
- Upcoming 7th graders will be getting a brand-new device in August along with the rest of their class. This loaner device for the summer is not their permanent device.
This does not apply to secondary students in grades 8 through 11. Those students keep their devices through the summer months.
RISD Summer Help Desk for Students
Technical and device issues will arise over the summer, and RISD will maintain two student Help Desk facilities to repair and troubleshoot problems with school-issued devices. If a device needs to be repaired during the summer, students can bring the computer to either of these two sites:
- All summer long on Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the RISD Help Desk Annex at 420 S Greenville Ave, Richardson, Texas 75081
- In June and July on Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Berkner STEM Academy High School at 1600 E Spring Valley Road, Richardson, Texas 75081
Walk-ins are accepted at either location. Additional support is available by emailing email@example.com or calling 469-593-HELP(4357) before attempting to drop off a device.
Devices that are covered by insurance will be repaired free of charge and a loaner will be issued immediately, if necessary. Devices not covered by insurance will necessitate payment before a loaner is issued or the original is repaired and returned. Help Desk agents have a list of common replacement parts and costs.