Operations supports the following departments: Transportation, Facility Services, Safety & Security, Student Information & Reporting, and Information Services.
Facility Services handles all requests for facility-related emergencies, maintenance work, repairs, custodial services, landscaping, pest control, climate control, events and moving. The department’s staff of skilled employees handle all aspects of physical plant maintenance, and carry out repair and remodeling projects. The department works closely with internal and external stakeholders and contractors on school and office renovation and expansion projects.
Information Services is a comprehensive management information systems department dedicated to providing automated solutions to optimize RISD daily operational activities by creating and managing technology tools and processes that help to increase staff productivity, Information Services contributes to the district’s goal of Excellence in Operations.
Areas of management responsibility include:
- Application, Database, and Systems Administration (e.g. server and database maintenance, account provisioning, etc.)
- Oracle e-Business Suite support
- Kronos Employee Time and Attendance support
- Remedy Work Order support
- Student Information System support
The department provides software programming services in support of:
- Student Attendance Monitoring System (SAMS)
- Online Employee Pay Slips
- ProTrac Textbook Management System
- Extra Time Reports
- Residency Checks
- Disciplinary Placement Requests
- Third-party integrations (e.g. OneRoster, Language Live, DCCCD Promise, eStar, Naviance, TransFinder, BlackBoard Connect, CLI Engage, Edgenuity, Ellevation, HMH, MAP NWEA, PowerSchool Online Registration, POS Child Nutrition)
The safety and security of students, staff and visitors in the Richardson Independent School District is paramount. RISD strives to ensure a safe environment for employees to work and students to concentrate on learning, developing and achieving academic excellence.
RISD administrators are currently trained in National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS) emergency management methodologies, the Standard Response Protocol (SRP), and The Standard Reunification Method (SRM). RISD utilizes these and other best practices to create and maintain a safe environment, including coordination with local, state and federal authorities and other safety specialists to continually update procedures and guidelines.
The district utilizes a model which includes four phases of emergency management: Mitigation/Prevention, Preparedness, Response, and Recovery.
Student Information and Reporting
The department’s primary function is to support data-driven decision-making, federal, state and local regulatory compliance, and accountability. It is responsible for the reporting requirements regarding student data in these areas:
- State (PEIMS, Texas Records Exchange System, PID Enrollment Tracking)
- Local (report cards, transcripts, GPA and rank)
- Federal (Office of Civil Rights)
- Grants (T-STEM)
This function includes the management and training of the Student Information System (SIS) which accounts for $240,700,000 of the district’s funding. The department trains and supports more than 750 SIS users, who include scheduling principals, discipline principals, central administrators, nurses, counselors, student data specialists (SDS), and attendance clerks. The department also supports more than 13,000 parents who use the SIS.
Student Information and Reporting establishes process guidelines to help ensure quality data, and takes a proactive approach to monitoring the areas of accountability and performance-based monitoring (PBMAS). It is also instrumental in the district’s dropout recovery process by providing reports and assistance with locating students.